RE: fedpkg: Failed to get repository name from Git url or pushurl

> Should that tutorial work?  Is it perhaps obsolete?
I'd say the opposite of obsolete - it's been updated to suggest using
fedpkg all along the way, instead of the old rpmbuild tools. But it
looks like it wasn't tested enough to make sure everything works.

> My newbie understanding is that fedpkg should get the source from the
> Source0 location and then follow the build instructions.
> Is that even close?
This is a bit complicated. When the package is being built, the list
of files is taken from the Source: tags in the spec file. However,
fedpkg keeps a separate file, "sources" (no extension), where it
lists files uploaded to the Fedora build cache. The justification
is that keeping source tarballs in the repository is a bad idea,
since these files can be really large (1GiB+ for game packages),
so they're stored in a cache instead, and the repository contains
only this "sources" file with references to said cache. (That being
said, you totally can store source files in the repo - this is
often done with stuff like non-standard Fedora configs.)

As for the "get the source from the Source0 location" bit - no.
fedpkg will not download stuff from Source: tags for you,
only the files listed in the "sources" file.

Since my impression is that you want to start experimenting with
RPM packaging in general, and not specifically fedpkg - I'll do
a bit shameless self-promotion and link to an article
on RPM packaging that I wrote some time ago:
https://blog.svgames.pl/article/basics-of-rpm-packaging

In this article, I show how to build RPM packages using the traditional
rpmbuild workflow. If you're just starting out with writing specs
and such, it should get you started enough to make switching
to fedpkg later down the road a no-brainer.

A.FI.