Re: Proposed integrated mingw packaging guidelines [Re: Planning to start unifying native and mingw packages]

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 01:58:05PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 01:45:11PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > Our goal is to strongly encourage the use of integrated mingw packaging,
> > but still allow native package maintainers the discretion to opt-out of
> > this if they feel strongly against handling mingw themselves. The keys
> > terms of the updated guidelines are this paragraph:
> >
> > [quote]
> >  * Where the same Fedora contributors intend to maintain both the native
> >    and MinGW builds of a package, they **MUST** use the integrated packaging
> >    approach.
> >
> >  * Where the upstream project supports the Windows platform as an official
> >    build target and has automated CI, contributors **SHOULD** prefer the
> >    integrated MinGW packaging approach. While native package maintainers are
> >    encouraged to accept this, they may decline this suggestion at their
> >    discretion.
>
> When I first read this, it seemed like it was saying that if the
> upstream project supports Windows we (strongly) should produce a mingw
> package.  I understand this is not what you're saying, but perhaps it
> could be clarified by adding
>
>   "... and the Fedora packager wishes to provide a mingw library"

This whole document is starting from the pov that the person reading
wants to provide a mingw library, so I figured that was a given.

> >  * Where the upstream project does not have automated testing of Windows
> >    builds, the MinGW package support **MAY** use the integrated packaging
> >    approach, subject to agreement of the native package maintainer.
> >
> >  * Where the upstream project only supports Windows builds, the separate
> >    packaging approach **MUST** be used. There will be no corresponding
> >    native package in Fedora expected. This situation is rare.
>
> I'm actually trying to think of a case.  Maybe the tools I wrote like
> mingw-nsiswrapper and mingw-crossreport?  The second one should
> probably be removed, since it's not very relevant today.

mingw-winpthreads, mingw-portablexdr (ok, not inherantly windows only,
but there's libtirpc on linux, so portablexdr has no value), mingw-win-iconv,
mingw-winstorecompat, mingw-headers. Not many, but wanted to acknowledge they
exist

> >  * When a contributor proposes a new native package to Fedora that provides
> >    libraries that are known to support Windows, the reviewer **SHOULD**
> >    inquire whether the contributor would like to add MinGW builds at the
> >    same time. The contributor **MAY** decline this suggestion at their
> >    discretion.
> > [/quote]

With regards,
Daniel