Proposed integrated mingw packaging guidelines [Re: Planning to start unifying native and mingw packages]

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 03:00:06PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 03:57:37PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:

> > > I've done the same with all the mingw packages I maintained just
> > > before Fedora 37 branched. So the following native packages now
> > > just contain mingw sub-RPMs:
> > >
> > >  libvirt, libvirt-glib, libosinfo, osinfo-db, osinfo-db-tools, gtk-vnc
> > >
> > > I'm so happy to have reduced this maint burden. I see a few new mingw
> > > packages pending in package review and think it'd be nice to first ask
> > > the native maintainer to consider unified package, before we approve
> > > any new separate mingw packages.
> > >
> > > Our Mingw packaging guidelines, however, exclusively describe fully
> > > separated mingw packages.  So if I suggest this to a native package
> > > maintainer who is not already familiar with mingw, they would be
> > > right to question whether this is a desirable thing.
> > >
> > > IOW, I think we need to look at getting the mingw packaging docs
> > > updated to promote unified packaging as an officially supported
> > > (and even preferred) option, alongside separate packaging.
> >
> > Sounds great.
> > The Packaging Committee is looking forward to your PR ;)
>
> I don't want to rush into doing that myself in case someone else reading
> along is very enthusiastic to do the work themselves ;-P

Fast forward 6 months and evidentally no one else was enthusiastic about
updating the MinGW packaging guidelines, so I've taken on that task myself :-)

I have not yet submitted to the Packaging Committee for approval. The
first draft of updated guidelines I have is here:

  https://berrange.fedorapeople.org/mingw-integrated/packaging-guidelines/MinGW/

To see the precise 'diff' of new/old guidelines

  https://pagure.io/fork/berrange/packaging-committee/c/286537d0905835c7931eec0c6b65d35b4d8f7beb?branch=mingw-native

As noted in the commit message, this new packaging approach has already
been put into practice for a large number of packages, where the same
maintainer owned both the native and MinGW components.

The packaging guidelines update aims to make this practice official, so
that it can be promoted more widely, in cases where the native maintainer
is different from the mingw maintainer.

Our goal is to strongly encourage the use of integrated mingw packaging,
but still allow native package maintainers the discretion to opt-out of
this if they feel strongly against handling mingw themselves. The keys
terms of the updated guidelines are this paragraph:

[quote]
 * Where the same Fedora contributors intend to maintain both the native
   and MinGW builds of a package, they **MUST** use the integrated packaging
   approach.

 * Where the upstream project supports the Windows platform as an official
   build target and has automated CI, contributors **SHOULD** prefer the
   integrated MinGW packaging approach. While native package maintainers are
   encouraged to accept this, they may decline this suggestion at their
   discretion.

 * Where the upstream project does not have automated testing of Windows
   builds, the MinGW package support **MAY** use the integrated packaging
   approach, subject to agreement of the native package maintainer.

 * Where the upstream project only supports Windows builds, the separate
   packaging approach **MUST** be used. There will be no corresponding
   native package in Fedora expected. This situation is rare.

 * When a contributor proposes a new native package to Fedora that provides
   libraries that are known to support Windows, the reviewer **SHOULD**
   inquire whether the contributor would like to add MinGW builds at the
   same time. The contributor **MAY** decline this suggestion at their
   discretion.
[/quote]

With regards,
Daniel