Re: KDE RedHat project

Paul F. Johnon wrote:

Hi,

And if FC keeps up with this (almost) insane blocking of the likes of
libdvd and mp3, they'll be as pointless as totem currently is.
Read http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-why-no-mp3.

Fedora is a completely Free and open source platform. Totem plays all
of the open source codecs that gstreamer supports. This has been
discussed multiple times previously. You cannot violate laws just
because you disagree with the rationale and where it can be fought in
a meaningful way it already happens*

I never said to break the law - that's just dumb! What I am suggesting
is that it should be possible for RH to have something like country
specific versions which are closed to those not allowed. Block by IP or
something like that.
I do not know the legal implications of a block by IP method. I am pretty sure this has already been considered by legal. Morever that would mean endorsing a codec or technology that is legally restricted and not completely open source in every region. My opinion is that we should not do that even if we can. Third party repositories can do whatever they want.

regards
Rahul