Re: Changes to Bugzilla API key requirements

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 4:56 PM Solomon Peachy via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (I admit I'm surprised that "Free Software for Everything" Red Hat is
>  chosing to base something so fundamental to their business on a highly
>  proprietary tool.  I suppose O365 is just a matter of time...)

They probably also use proprietary ERP systems,
as while critical to running the company, they are
not fundamental to their services or offerings.

It is important to remember that bugzilla is
more of an issue tracker, while Jira (and
others such as Redmine) are a step up to
be project trackers.  Once you get beyond a
certain size, you find you need to track the
entire project's status and progress, and not
just at the issue level.

It is sometimes possible to use an issue tracker
as a poor project tracker by creating a mega
issue which "depends on" other specific issues,
but it is not quite the same level of integration
as a project management tool, which also can
deal with resourcing and scheduling, and, as
you mention, produce detailed reports so
management can show they and their team
is producing results (and value).

While there are certainly some FLOSS tools
out there for project management, they tend
not to be in the same class or ability to scale
as tools such as Jira, and while some might
want to see such solutions be built and
available for free, building a viable business
providing such a solution is going to be
really hard (if not impossible).  I expect Jira
(and its ilk) to be the tool chosen for larger
organizations and projects for quite some
time (even as I really dislike its default UI).