Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

On 2023-02-20 03:08, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Gordon Messmer:
As you noted at the end of your message, that would involve querying
the rpm DB from the ELF dependency generator, which the rpm
maintainers want to avoid.
Not really.  We could dump an extract of the RPM database to a text file
at the start of the build, after the dependencies have been installed.

Setting aside the mechanics of rpm db access for the moment:

My initial suggestion for this work *was* to use the rpm package version.  One of the advantage that I see to that approach is that rpm versions have really well defined semantics, including an "epoch" if we need to reset version ordering for a given package for some reason.

However, one of the major down sides to this is that it makes swappable / compatibility libraries much harder to support.  In the rpm PR, Neal provided the examples of SDL/sdl12-compat and jack-audio-connection-kit/pipewire-jack-audio-connection-kit. Ideally, as long as those packages provide the same interface, users should be able (or should have been able) to install either option.  If we use the rpm package versions, that seems a little more difficult.  As far as I can tell, rpm sub-packages can have version numbers distinct from the primary package, so I would *guess* that it's possible for maintainers to coordinate packaging those individual libraries in a package whose version was the library's interface version rather than the source package's release version.

This seems like a more complex approach, but might be worth further discussion...