Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

On  2023-02-18 10:33, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

- What Fedora release(es) are you targeting here?

I'd appreciate guidance from more senior project members on that point.

- You mention "over the course of two releases" but don't mention what
   is done in each one?

I don't know the specifics of how package builds are ordered in a mass rebuild, so I tend to think the safest rollout is a slow one: enable the improved "provides" feature and mass rebuild, and then later enable the improved "requires" feature and mass rebuild. Targeting a subsequent release for the "requires" feature means that there's time to address any unforeseen problems with the requires feature in rawhide.

- If this was approved for say f39, couldn't we enable this now and
   shake out issues in rawhide, even without a mass rebuild? At least
   with the provides part and perhaps optionally on a per package basis for
   the requires part?

For the provides feature, yes, that can be enabled at any time. There just needs to be a mass rebuild in between global enabling of that feature and global enabling of the requirement feature.

In order to enable the requires feature on a single package (without a mass rebuild in between), the maintainer would need to ensure that all of the package's dependencies had been build after the provides feature was enabled, and arrange to rebuild any that hadn't.