Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> If a maintainer enabled the _elf_require_fallback_versions macro
> before a mass rebuild where the _elf_provide_fallback_versions macro
> had been enabled globally, then the resulting package would have
> versioned dependencies, and the packages it depends on might not have
> versioned dependencies.  That package wouldn't be installable.

It seems to me that it would be much safer if the dependency generator
would verify that the library package actually provides the generated
dependency.

If _elf_provide_fallback_versions is turned off in a single package for
whatever reason, then dependent packages should only need rebuilding to
pick up the unversioned dependency. The maintainers of the dependent
packages shouldn't have to turn off _elf_require_fallback_versions
manually.

There are always some failures in each mass rebuild. If library L fails
to build in Fedora N, and fails again in Fedora N+1, then under the
current policy, L will be retired from Fedora N+2. If you turn on
_elf_provide_fallback_versions in Fedora N, and then turn on
_elf_require_fallback_versions in Fedora N+1, then any packages that
use L will become uninstallable in Fedora N+1, half a year before L
will be retired. Therefore, if you're going to rely on the FTBFS
retirement process to ensure that all libraries provide version
numbers, then you shouldn't turn on _elf_require_fallback_versions
before Fedora N+2.

Once the dependency generator has found the filename it gets the
version number from, it would be easy to run

rpm --query --provides --file <filename> | grep --quiet ^<dependency>$

except that people keep saying that package builds shouldn't invoke RPM
for some reason. Is there a way to do the above without actually
invoking RPM?

Björn Persson