Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

* Gordon Messmer:

> * Other developers:
>
> Other developers are not expected to make any specific changes, though
> if any package is manually creating versioned dependencies (as the
> curl package is), they can remove those and rely on the internal
> dependency generator when the change is complete.

I think there's at least one more thing that impacts compatibility.

For the most part, installed DSO names were opaque strings before this
change (because Fedora does not ship multiple implementation of the same
soname in the same directory).  We have an ordering algorithm in
glibc/ldconfig (_dl_cache_libcmp), but I do not think it is the same as
the RPM ordering algorithm, particularly since it works on the entire
name and not just the part following the “.so.“ string (which I think
this change is proposing).  Furthermore, upstream might change the
installed name because from an ELF perspective, it's an implementation
detail.  I think package maintainers need to be aware of that.

Does the dependency generate look at the actual symbol references, and
does it try to generate version information based on what the actually
used symbols bind to?

And alternative implementation would just look at the DT_NEEDED entries
and use the RPM versions found in the buildroot.  This wouldn't need a
mass rebuild to become effective.  It would force more package updates,
and thus make it harder to install packages directly out of Koji
(instead of a compose), but perhaps that's a better trade-off?

Thanks,
Florian