Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 07:03:26PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Following a recent thread discussing a reproducible failure caused by
> mismatched library interfaces, I proposed a change to the RPM ELF dependency
> generator.  After discussion in the PR, I've provided an implementation
> suggested by keszybz@ which would use libtool-style versions collected from
> library filenames to provide versioned library requirements.  Before merging
> that feature, RPM's maintainers are interested in feedback from a wider
> audience.

You mention 'libtool' multiple times through this thread. libtool
defines specific semantics for 3 digits in the version number.
Not all shared libraries are built with libtool, and even those
which did use libtool didn't neccesarily apply libtool's semantics.

Possibly this proposal works fine regardless ? In fact, presumably it
must, otherwise its going to break stuff.

If so, then I'd suggest removing references to libtool and describing
directly what kind of versions it looks for and what it does with them.

With regards,
Daniel