Re: Risc-V SIG?

On 2/9/23 08:49, David Abdurachmanov wrote:

There are two generic issues in Fedora that keep popping up:
- Wrong assumption about valgrind. Those are easy to fix, but are in a
number of places. Note that valgrind upstreaming will happen
relatively soonish too.
Yea, but I don't have a high degree of confidence in that code. I was looking at it a couple weeks ago and it's just not in that good of shape. I certainly hope they're able to fix things and get it working on real code rather than just trivial tests as valgrind is the biggest missing piece in the tools world as I narrowly define it :-)

There is also an issue in how sub-word atomics are being handled in
riscv64 today. This basically means that packages like to fail
building somewhat sporadically. Basically you must link to libatomic
and GCC SPEC will do that if -pthread is used (this covers most of the
cases, but not all). Also a number of packages don't use -pthread and
just -lpthread. There are patches to improve this, but that's more
likely GCC 14 material now. A quick "fix" (not the best) would be
remove -pthread check and let GCC to attempt linking to libatomic in
all cases (--as-needed -latomic).
subword atomics are a pain point. RIght or wrong, they got pulled into the largeer atomics issues in the risc-v space. Basically neither GCC nor LLVM actually implement the atomics correctly and there's some belief that we need to fix that first, then we can add the inline subword atomics.

Jeff