Re: Retiring Bottles in favor of Flatpak provided by upstream

Vít Ondruch píše v Čt 26. 01. 2023 v 15:37 +0100:

> Dne 26. 01. 23 v 14:55 Jiri Eischmann napsal(a):
> > Robert Marcano via devel píše v Čt 26. 01. 2023 v 09:00 -0400:

> > > That doesn't seems to be enforced because many builds scripts
> > > just
> > > download binaries built by other projects, for example;
> > >
> > > https://github.com/flathub/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe/blob/master/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe.json#L89
> > >
> > > Note: building the entire pandoc and TeX toolchain is very hard
> > > and I
> > > understand this example packager decision, but It doesn't make
> > > more
> > > trustful that version that one on Fedora.
>

> Yes, this is good example. I cannot imagine anybody would do the
> reviews
> for the 3rd party libraries. That is the main difference to Fedora,
> because there are no 3rd party libraries there.

But let's not pretend it doesn't happen in Fedora at all. Yes, unlike
on Flathub guidelines rule it out, but in the reality I've seen quite a
few packages with (unacknowledged) bundled libraries in Fedora repos.
The package goes through the initial review, a new version introduces a
new dependency which is not available in the Fedora repo, you don't
want to go through the hassle of introducing and maintaining a new
package, you quietly bundle it.
No source is pristine. It's always a compromise. Flathub is more
flexible in what you can include in the flatpak, but Flatpak mitigates
it by isolation (although it may not be set strict enough for some
apps).

Jiri