Re: Retiring Bottles in favor of Flatpak provided by upstream

On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 17:42 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 06:01:17PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> > > Can you elaborate on why you feel that way?
> >

> > I don't trust upstream Flatpacks. I don't trust they follow any
> > standard except standard of their authors.
> >
> > And I don't like Flatpacks, because their main advantage (their
> > isolation) is also their biggest disadvantage. There can't be both
> > without making compromises. If I am not mistaken, the isolation is
> > also mostly myth, because it is disabled in most cases.
>
> In addition to this, the supposed promise of Flatpaks (eg [1]) is that
> they are built from Fedora's RPMs.

No, that's the promise of Fedora Flatpaks, which is an effort with a
distinct identity and philosophy (but which is, uh, not being its best
possible self so far, I think everyone would agree). It's not the
promise of flatpaks in general.

>   But how does that work for
> "upstream" Flatpaks?  How do we know they don't contain non-free
> software?  How do we ensure we can obtain and rebuild from source?

Basically, you have to trust that the maintainer of the upstream F/OSS
project cares about and ensures those things.

I'm not 100% a fan of this either (having seen enough cases where
upstream's interpretation of F/OSS differs from mine or Fedora's, and
enough cases where upstream just didn't take enough care about it).

OTOH, it's not reasonable to dictate to the person maintaining a Fedora
package whether they should think that's a reasonable use of their time
or not. The current maintainers of Bottles decided they trust the
upstream developers to distribute their software 'properly' and thus
didn't want to dedicate their time to maintaining the package any more;
that's entirely their decision to make.

Of course, it should still be the case that someone who still sees
value in distribution packaging of bottles can take the package over if
they want to, as Pete Walter has already asked to do.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA