Re: F38 proposal: Rpmautospec by Default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 4:43 AM Maxwell G via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon Jan 2, 2023 at 09:57 +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > Dne 02. 01. 23 v 9:38 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski napsal(a):
> > > produces bogus changelog messages and artificially
> > > inflates Release counters.
> >
> > I always wondered why people are afraid of gaps in numbering? It is
> > just a number. The number will not object if you skip some of them. :)
>
> The release number shows how many builds of the same version have been
> made. A high release is also baseline indicator that a package/project
> is stale downstream and/or upstream. When the first build of foo v1.5.0
> is foo-1.5.0-6 because the author took the time to split up logical
> changes into separate commits, the value of that release number is lost.

The heuristics you are describing are assumptions, not facts.  They
are decent assumptions in the context of the Fedora project, but they
don't necessarily actually apply equally across the package set.

Personally, I think we should avoid tying any assumption to the
Release value and simply realize that it is the mechanism used to
present an update to a system.  Guessing what foo-1.5.0-6 vs.
foo-1.5.0-560 means based on what we think Release denotes is kind of
dangerous.

josh