Re: F38 proposal: Rpmautospec by Default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 01:09:54AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > Rpmautospec (`%autorelease` and `%autochangelog`) is recommended as
> > the default approach.
> > Packaging Guidelines and other documentation are adjusted to describe
> > this approach first.
> > Various tools that provide spec file templates are adjusted.
>
> -1 to this proposal.
>
> As I had already written when this was first introduced,

Rpmautospec is not the same now as it was two years ago. Your reseverations
are mostly solved. See below.

> autogenerating the changelog from git history is a bad idea, especially in Fedora dist-git
> where published git history cannot ever be rewritten, so it is impossible to
> fix typos in the changelog, hide fixup commits if they did not use the
> proper fixup markup (or even avoid them altogether by amending the
> previously pushed commit), etc., which all requires to at least be able to
> edit commit messages

tl;dr: you want to fix changelog entries. That's supported by saving the
generated changelog to 'changelog' file and doing whatever edits you want there.

With that approach, you can do arbitrary formatting and fixups. The advantage
compared to status quo (non-autochangelog) is that you only need to do it if the
autogenerated changelog is deficient for whatever reasons. In the default case
you can use autochangelog, and fall back to the manual version when necessary.

> In addition, it assumes that the commits in git use the correct format for
> %autochangelog.
[snip long description of some very specific workflow]

Rpmautospec allows you to have a part or parts of a commit message that end up
in the changelog, and parts that do not, see
https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-infra.rpmautospec/autochangelog.html#changelog-entries-generated-from-commit-messages

Zbyszek