Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 08:42:14PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> > > Switching the whole distro over to unified kernels quickly is not
> > > realistic though.  Too many features are depending on the current
> > > workflow with a host-specific initrd (and host-specific kernel command
> > > line), which is fundamentally incompatible with unified kernels where
> > > everybody will have the same initrd and command line. Thats why there
> > > is 'Phase 1' in title, so we can have more Phases in future releases
> > > 😃
> >
> > Whew! So usable kernels won't go away in F38. I only have to worry
> > about being forced to build my own kernels in some unspecified future
> > phase. Doom is still coming but no one knows when. That's *such* a
> > relief.
>
> Note the proposal talks about adding support for ukis, not about
> removing support for current separate kernel+initrd setup.

That's not how I read "switching the whole distro over". Switching over
means to remove the old thing and use only the new thing.

I see you have changed that in the wiki. The change proposal looks less
scary now.

Björn Persson