Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Main motivation for this move is to make the distro more robust and more secure.

Improving security would be great, but it must be done in a way that
allows the sysadmin to configure and repair the system and authorize
the new configuration.

> Switching the whole distro over to unified kernels quickly is not
> realistic though.  Too many features are depending on the current
> workflow with a host-specific initrd (and host-specific kernel command
> line), which is fundamentally incompatible with unified kernels where
> everybody will have the same initrd and command line. Thats why there
> is 'Phase 1' in title, so we can have more Phases in future releases
> 😃

Whew! So usable kernels won't go away in F38. I only have to worry
about being forced to build my own kernels in some unspecified future
phase. Doom is still coming but no one knows when. That's *such* a
relief.

> A host-specific initrd / command line is needed today for:
[...]
> * configuration being specified on the kernel command line.
> ** root filesystem being the most important one.
> [https://systemd.io/DISCOVERABLE_PARTITIONS/ Discoverable partitions]
> allow to remove this.

Why link to a page that only contains a link to another page? Why not
link directly to
https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/discoverable_partitions_specification/

That page makes it clear that omitting root= from the kernel command
line is only an *option* which is proposed only "for simpler,
appliance-like installations". My workstation and my laptop aren't
appliance-like in the slightest. And on appliances you want a stable,
reliable operating system, not a fast-moving, unstable one like Fedora.

** Troubleshooting being the second most important one. When the system
won't boot, it's necessary to remove "quiet" and "rhgb" from the kernel
command line to see how far the boot process gets and what error
messages are printed. It may also be necessary to configure a serial
console for example.

The root filesystem is also relevant for troubleshooting, when I take a
storage device out of a broken computer and connect it to another
computer to inspect it. Suddenly there are two "discoverable" root
partitions, and the kernel parameter is necessary to specify which one
is the root filesystem, as stated under "Doesn’t this break multi-boot
scenarios?":
https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/discoverable_partitions_specification/#doesnt-this-break-multi-boot-scenarios

> Phase 2/3 goals (longer-term stuff which is not realistic to complete for F38).
>
> * Move away from using the kernel command line for configuration.

I note that taking away the kernel command line is indeed a clearly
stated goal, which will limit Fedora to simple, appliance-like uses.

If any of what I wrote above misrepresents the change owner's
intentions, then the change proposal is badly written and needs
reworking to communicate the true intentions.

Björn Persson