Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Di, 20.12.22 13:56, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > * Better secure boot support (specifically the initrd is covered by
> > the signature).
>
> We need to solve the glaring hole that is the initrd. There's no
> question about it. I can't really assess if this feature is the best
> way to do that. Or if it would be adequate for dracut to self-sign
> every locally generated initrd with a unique key pair and throw away
> the private key after each initrd is generated.  Or if we could do
> enough strict standardization in the boot chain with a possibly
> larger kernel to avoid needing an initrd, i.e. get to sysroot mount
> faster thereby obviating the need for a large initrd.

Systems without initrd are unrealistic outside of corner cases. I am
pretty sure that if you care about SecureBoot then you must care about
protecting the root fs somehow, too. Otherwise fixing the initrd hole
is a pretty pointless excercise. Protecting the root fs means
encryption/LUKS, Verity or dm-integrity in some way. But that implies
an initrd, in particular if you want to hook that up with TPM or FIDO2
or so, which I am pretty sure should be considered a pretty common
case sooner or later.

I think initrd-less systems only make sense as a corner case for
certain low-security systems, but certainly not as a default.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin