Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Di, 20.12.22 20:42, Björn Persson (Bjorn@rombobjörn.se) wrote:

> The root filesystem is also relevant for troubleshooting, when I take a
> storage device out of a broken computer and connect it to another
> computer to inspect it. Suddenly there are two "discoverable" root
> partitions, and the kernel parameter is necessary to specify which one
> is the root filesystem, as stated under "Doesn’t this break multi-boot
> scenarios?":
> https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/discoverable_partitions_specification/#doesnt-this-break-multi-boot-scenarios

Nah. When booting without root= so that the root partition is
auto-discovered then this is done on the disk the ESP that was used
for booting is found on and no other disks. Thus: once you pick a disk
for booting in the firmware menu, auto-discovery won't "leave" this
disk anymore.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin