Re: Review Request: ImageMagick7

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 10:17 AM Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/6/22 8:31 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > There's a very important difference between September 2017 and now: we
> > know someone else already did it!
>
> Great. Good luck.
>
> > As an aside: I don't appreciate the "high horse" comment, considering
> > during most of this discussion, I was doing the work and evaluating
> > things.
>
> It's unfortunate you feel this way. Maybe we cannot work together.

I don't think that's the case. The point I'm making is that I'm not
speaking from a point of arrogance, but trying to speak from the
ideals of what we're supposed to do, while simultaneously trying to
actually execute on that to demonstrate that I'm willing to help to
make it happen. Most of the complaints from Sergio and you seem to be
centered on doing it alone and taking on the entire workload
yourselves, but that is not a requirement at all. I spent a chunk of
my Sunday adapting the ImageMagick packaging, building an ImageMagick6
package, and rebuilding packages from Dist-Git in COPR against
ImageMagick 7 to figure out what the scope of things are.

I truly think that transitioning to ImageMagick 7 for the majority of
packages is a lot less difficult than it was back when it was tried in
2017. And dragging our feet on this isn't going to help anything.

The ImageMagick 6 website itself states the recommendation to move to
ImageMagick 7 now:

> As ImageMagick version 6 is no longer being evolved, we recommend you switch to ImageMagick version 7. In the mean-time we continue to support and add security patches, but not evolve, ImageMagick version 6, until at least August 1, 2030.

Yes, the EOL period is further out, but I'd rather make it so that the
next RHEL will have ImageMagick 7 right from the beginning. And in
EPEL 9, there's one package that needs a patch to build against
ImageMagick 7 if we wanted to make that bump and ship the ImageMagick6
compat package there like I propose we do for Fedora.