Re: Should the policy documents better reflect real package maintenance practice?

On 2022-11-24 09:28, Adam Williamson wrote:
The update policy is very keen on discouraging *compatibility-breaking*
updates.

That's true, it does explicitly discourage compatibility breaking updates.  But it also says "Updates should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features," and if that's not something we care about as a principle, then the policy shouldn't say that we do.  That's my argument: we should present users with realistic expectations of what the distribution will deliver.

However it already allows exceptions when updating to a new
major release is necessary to maintain security

That's also true.  The policy does allow updating for security reasons, but it also says of those updates that "the package maintainer(s) MUST open a FESCo ticket for approval to rebase".

On the whole, I'd say the policy is still sensible as-is, but it's
always been something that's kind of applied on request, like city
bylaws tend to be. If your garden fence is against the bylaws but none
of your neighbours complain, you'll probably get away with it. If you
update your package to a new major release but everyone who uses it is
fine with that, you'll probably get away with it...we tend to only
invoke the policy when an update gets "flagged" by negative feedback or
a failed test or whatever.

I'll keep beating the Thunderbird drum: On Sep 2, a thread started on this list re: "Thunderbird 102 pushed to F36 stable." As far as I know, no action was taken in response to users reporting that a major update pushed during a stable release broke their workflow.