Re: Orphaned a lot of (mostly) Go packages owned by @fpokorny

Hi Daniel,

On November 23, 2022 5:44:01 PM UTC, "Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 01:20:24PM +0100, Ralf Corsépius wrote:
>>

>> Am 23.11.22 um 12:20 schrieb Miro Hrončok:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > Based on my conversation with Fridolín Pokorný @fpokorny, I've removed
>> > them from their Fedora packages.
>> >
>> > They left Red Hat and are no longer interested in maintaining Fedora
>> > packages.
>>
>> I am wondering, why Red Hat/FESCO/... still hasn't found some "formal"
>> successor regulations/proceedures to migitate such cases, provided they have
>> happened many times before, in all the years, Fedora is around?
>
>The mitigation/successor strategy is to have comaintainers for every
>package.
>
>Unfortunately our tools enforce the notion of a "main admin" and
>if that person leaves that role has to be given to another
>comaintainer explicitly.

In my personal packaging experience that wouldn't really help, as all packages that I have been involved in, have been or are maintained by a single person, irrespective of the number of admins. And once it gets orphaned, none of the "ordinary" admins pick it up.

But that's just my experience, yours might (and probably does) differ.