Re: Should the policy documents better reflect real package maintenance practice?

On 2022-11-24 05:50, Tomáš Popela wrote:
Although not explicitly stated there, Firefox is mentioned as a first example in https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#examples. Also nearly all Firefox and Thunderbird updates there are the security ones there really isn't another way (unless someone will package Firefox ESR releases in Fedora, but that would need to be rebased yearly anyway).

Yes, Firefox appears as an example, but my reading is that it's an example of the class of packages that fall under the "Security fixes" category, which states that "the package maintainer(s) MUST open a FESCo ticket for approval to rebase the package".  I don't think that's happening for each Firefox release (nor would that really be practical), which is why it stands out as weird that I can't find a FESCO ticket granting Firefox a permanent exception.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#security-fixes

Thunderbird is a case where I'd like to see a specific update policy decision.  It follows the Mozilla ESR schedule, so a release is supported for a little over a year.  Given Fedora's release schedule, it would need to be updated to a new major version in at least alternating Fedora releases.  But there's 12 weeks of overlap from one supported release to the next.  I see Thunderbird as a business productivity suite that offers an API for integrations (which can break from one release to the next), similar to LibreOffice (which, as far as I know, Fedora does not rebase during a release).  And because the API is not guaranteed to be compatible from one release to the next, I would much prefer to see Thunderbird updated early in Rawhide and releases that are not yet final, but to remain on the older stable version for as long as possible on any Fedora release that had included it.  As it is today, users get breaking changes in Thunderbird at unexpected times.