Re: FF 107.0 scratch builds - just for fun

Dne 21. 11. 22 v 18:56 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 12:43 -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
On 11/21/22 09:23, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Sun, 2022-11-20 at 19:24 -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
On 11/20/22 17:40, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Sun, 2022-11-20 at 17:22 -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
On 11/20/22 07:24, Bojan Smojver via devel wrote:
Now that nss 3.85 has been built, I thought I'd have a go at building
FF 107.0, given that's been out for a few days and original builds
failed in koji, because nss was too old at the time.
Has switching to bundled NSS been considered?  For browsers anything
that holds up an update is very, *very* bad.
Casually handling crypto libraries is very, *very* worse.
Has there ever been a case where Fedora’s NSS was not vulnerable to
something that the bundled NSS was vulnerable to?  To be clear, I am
referring to the NSS shipped by Mozilla as a part of Firefox.
Another option would be to ensure that NSS is promptly updated.
NSS is generally updated in order to release Firefox, I am not aware of
a chronic issue here.

We compile NSS differently than what Mozilla does, for example we use
the Fedora OS trust anchors, and the Fedora Crypto-Policies, etc.. it
is not just about vulnerabilities, system integration matters too.

But we *have* released patches for security vulnerabilities in NSS w/o
requiring also a full recompile and retesting of Firefox.
In that case, can NSS be pushed out to stable immediately, along with
the new Firefox?  Several days is too long a delay already.
One factor that sometimes holds things up is that the involved
maintainers never bundle updates properly. When there is a new Firefox
build and a new nss build that should go together, these should be
bundled in a single update, but they almost never are. This sometimes
causes the openQA tests to fail (if there's a hard version dependency
involved), which causes one or other update to be gated. If they were
properly bundled, this would not happen.

I have been leaving comments on Firefox updates for years asking for
this to be addressed, but it never happens. Most recent example:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-1f8312716f

It does seem like there is a weirdly low level of co-operation between
nss and firefox maintainers, given that firefox is by a long way the
most significant and intertwined user of nss. It feels like there is
scope for improvement there.

Would it be possible to develop a way to better manage updates of some interconnected packages? FF + NSS would be one case, but when we are doing Ruby on Rails update, it always involve more packages. Or probably gcc + annobin are pair of packages which needs to always go together (unless I am mistaken).

E.g. the build of NSS would automatically triggered side creation and waited for updated FF.

Vít