Re: Deprecating intents in Modularity

V Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 04:45:41PM +0100, Petr Pisar napsal(a):
> do you know intents
> <https://github.com/fedora-modularity/libmodulemd/blob/8f7543f712c4aeb8afd795cfc7c34ee8cbe05e67/yaml_specs/modulemd_defaults_v1.yaml#L25>?
[...]
> * I was told that even RHEL, from version 9, does not use system purposes and
> that it's quite possible that the interface will disappear from
> subscription-manager.

A correction: A subscription experience product manager replied after sending
my original message that "System Purpose isn’t going away [... it] is used by
the subscriptions service [...] to show the user their usage." In other words,
system purposes will be kept in subscription-manger for statistical purposes.

> Summing all these facts suggests that intents in Modularity are completely
> unused and their future won't be better. Therefore I'd like to deprecate
> intents in Modularity.
>
> What would it mean? The current YAML specification for module-defaults would
> warn that intents are deprecated. Any future tools or speciciations for
> modularity would not implement the intents.
>
> Does anybody have a problem with deprecating intents?

Thanks for your replies. I did not receive any negative feedback. Therefore
I deprecated intents in modulemd-defaults-v1 specification and in
libmodulemd API
<https://github.com/fedora-modularity/libmodulemd/commit/af23bff3fd51319ee26dd4835a98f277eafd60e8>.

-- Petr