Deprecating intents in Modularity

Hello module maintainers,

do you know intents
<https://github.com/fedora-modularity/libmodulemd/blob/8f7543f712c4aeb8afd795cfc7c34ee8cbe05e67/yaml_specs/modulemd_defaults_v1.yaml#L25>?
I believe you don't. Do you use intents? I hope you don't.

In modularity, default streams and default profiles can be parametrized by
a system role (purpose, variant, spin). Modularity calls it an "intent".

Theoretically, if you install Fedora Workstation and then install a postgresql
module, client libraries or tools for PostgreSQL could be installed. While
installing the same module on a Server spin would instead install PostgreSQL
server.

I write theoretically because Fedora has no way of signalling the intent
(fedora-release-* packages do not drop any configuration files; on RHEL one
uses subscription-manager for that purpose) and DNF does not implement
handling the intents at all.

I did a small survey and I was told that:

* DNF is not interrested in implementing this feature because there is no
established distribution-agnostic mechanism for setting and getting the
intents (even Fedora and RHEL differ).

* I was also told that Anaconda, a distribution installer, only interfaces
with intents through subscription-manager (RHEL-only thing) and that the
interface is clumsy.

* I was told that even RHEL, from version 9, does not use system purposes and
that it's quite possible that the interface will disappear from
subscription-manager.

* I also confirmed that module defaults in Fedora repositories do not utilize
the intents.

Summing all these facts suggests that intents in Modularity are completely
unused and their future won't be better. Therefore I'd like to deprecate
intents in Modularity.

What would it mean? The current YAML specification for module-defaults would
warn that intents are deprecated. Any future tools or speciciations for
modularity would not implement the intents.

Does anybody have a problem with deprecating intents?

-- Petr