Re: Silent changes in Packaging Guidelines

On Thu, 2022-11-03 at 12:08 +0000, Ian McInerney via devel wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 12:02 PM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > While it is annoying to spell out each file it does catch package changes
> > which might go unnoticed otherwise. In particular, we've had a few
> > unannounced soname changes and such lately. [Disclaimer: I have not checked
> > whether the maintainer ignored the build failure for an explicit soname or
> > got trapped by a wildcard in these cases.]
> >

> But the packaging guidelines already mentioned not globbing the soname part
> of the files, so this change makes no difference to that use case.
> Extending the no-globbing rule to other directories like datadir seems very
> excessive. Why should we have to list all files a package wants to ship as
> its data?

You don't. You can use less general wildcards. Just don't wildcard
absolutely everything in the directory. If the project is putting
dozens of files that don't contain something obviously usable for a
more specific wildcard - like the project's name - *directly* into one
of those directories (the rule doesn't forbid you including an entire
subdirectory, note) - that in itself is a bad idea that you as the
packager ought to be aware of and keep an eye on to make sure it
doesn't unnecessarily conflict with other packages.

The rule comes with an explanation:

"This rule serves as a check against common mistakes
which are otherwise hard to detect.
It does limit some possibilities for automation.

The most common mistake this rule prevents is upstream adding new
commands in `+%{_bindir}/*+`.
You should always check such changes for
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Conflicts/#_common_conflicting_files_cases_and_solutions
,
and keep the list of such files explicit and auditable."

I agree it should have been announced, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA