Re: Copr delete-by-default expiration policy still unacceptable

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 08:49, Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 13. 10. 22 v 6:12 Kevin Kofler via devel napsal(a):
>> I am really angry at Copr's expiration policy once again. It looks like I
>> missed the deadline to renew the expired chroots (I still do not get any
>> notification mails, they end up eaten in a spam filter somewhere), so
>> once again a lot of data was deleted forever with no way to recover it.
> What is your proposal then? The resources are not infinite.

At least allow the opt-out per maintainer.

I would suggest to add the permanent opt-out checkbox, mark it "(BETA)", and
then evaluate how many maintainers actually check that checkbox and how much
resource usage is actually caused by it. Then after a year or two, decide
whether to keep the checkbox or revert to the current status quo. Or drop it
sooner if you really run out of disk space as quickly as you seem to expect.

The problem is that they HAVE been running out of disk space quite regularly. This is not a new problem as COPR has bounced off of zero storage over time as various 'newer' hardware is moved over for their usage. Currently, the storage they are using is an aging disk service which will go out of warranty in about a year. As far as I know, there is no budget to buy more disk space for this project. Instead there is a long list of complaints from the community which usually get aggregated up as 'this is not working, why do we still invest in it?'

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren