Re: Copr delete-by-default expiration policy still unacceptable

Dne 13. 10. 22 v 6:12 Kevin Kofler via devel napsal(a):
I am really angry at Copr's expiration policy once again. It looks like I
missed the deadline to renew the expired chroots (I still do not get any
notification mails, they end up eaten in a spam filter somewhere), so once
again a lot of data was deleted forever with no way to recover it.
What is your proposal then? The resources are not infinite.

(By the way, I have since entirely deleted 3 deprecated Coprs that do not
have builds for newer releases and hence stopped being useful entirely as a
result.)
??? If you have enabled "Follow Fedora branching" (per-project setting) then all your packages are automatically rebuild for new Fedora version when it is added to Copr. And your project will be always up2date.

The assumption that users will receive notifications mails and act on them
is still entirely invalid (because e-mail is not a certified delivery
method, mails can get lost at any time), and deleting data is not and will
never be a safe default. The default must be to retain, not to delete.
BTW email is not the only one notification we have. If some of yours chroot are flagged as EOL you will be shown this banner in WebUI:

Some of the chroots you maintain are newly marked EOL, and will be removed in the future. Please review https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/user/repositories/ to hide this warning.

PS: At the very least, you could add a checkbox to allow a maintainer to opt
out permanently of automatic expiration (it would still be possible to
This is not a solution as it does not comes with solution where we get the storage.
manually click on "Expire now"), as opposed to having to click dozens of
buttons (an everincreasing number, since there is not even an "Extend all"
button) at least every 180 days (in practice, more often, or you end up
missing the deadline). That is a very unfriendly dark pattern.

We did not put there "Extend all" intentionally. With the intent that you have to consider each project separately and think about if you still really needed.

BTW: I am curious what is your use-case to keep **dozens** EOL repositories (which means F34-) alive?

Miroslav