Re: Advice needed: Pantheon desktop broken on Fedora 37 (yes, worse than usual)

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:55 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23. 08. 22 23:46, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > even if the advice is: "yes, retire the packages, rather
> > than leave them broken, they can be added back once they have been
> > fixed"
>
> Knowing nothing about Pantheon or GObject C, I do think this is always better
> than noninstallable packages. So if all other efforts fail, I would retire the
> packages before Final Freeze and only introduce them back if ever fixed.
>
> Yes, it may be emotionally a bit painful, but IMHO it gives a clearer message
> to our users if the package is missing rather than utterly broken.

To come back to this issue: I ended up retiring all packages for the
Pantheon desktop and elementary applications from Fedora 37. This
turned out to have been the right move, since Pantheon desktop
components and some apps are still not compatible with libraries from
GNOME 43 (mutter 43 / evolution-data-server 3.45+ / libsoup3 / etc),
and we're already in the Final Freeze now - so getting things fixed in
time for Fedora 37 would have been extremely unlikely.

Fabio