Advice needed: Pantheon desktop broken on Fedora 37 (yes, worse than usual)

Hello all,

I'm not quite sure how to approach this problem, but as it stands, the
packages for the Pantheon DE and associated "elementary" applications
will probably be mostly broken when Fedora 37 will be released.

Every major GNOME update comes with problems for Pantheon (especially
due to mutter API changes), but this time is *much* worse due to the
additional libsoup 2 -> 3 transition.

Upstream development of the Pantheon / elementary projects is now
focused on finally getting elementary OS 7 out the door (which was
already supposed to have happened, it will be based on ubuntu 22.04
LTS, after all). Support for things that are in the far-off future
(like libsoup3, webkit2gtk-4.1, etc.) are low priority for them,
especially given their diminished manpower.

(The list of currently broken or "in danger of being broken on Fedora
38+" applications and components is included below, including links to
upstream tickets.)

I am already at my limit with the time that I can invest into Fedora,
and GObject C is the bane of my existence - so I can't really help
with these porting efforts, and upstream development is (rightfully
so) focused on their own, more important problems right now.

I doubt that these problems will be fixed in time for the release of
Fedora 37. And because many of these problems result in outdated,
crashing, failing-to-install or failing-to-build packages, I don't
think this is a good outcome at all, least for my users. Rather than
leave the DE available, but in an utterly broken and useless state,
I'd rather remove it from Fedora 37 altogether.

This set of packages also has at least some sentimental value to me,
because they were my first contributions to Fedora - first in COPR,
then getting them through package review (my first review request was
for the granite GTK widget library for elementary applications, which
was reviewed by rathann and ngompa).

The Pantheon components and elementary apps are also probably the
packages with the biggest number of actual users (the combination of
"Pantheon on Fedora" is quite popular for something that's not
available as an official Spin), maybe except for Syncthing, among all
the packages that I maintain.

So, I don't see any "good" way to handle this right now. If somebody
can give me any advice for what to do in this situation, I would be
grateful (even if the advice is: "yes, retire the packages, rather
than leave them broken, they can be added back once they have been
fixed").

Thanks,
Fabio

Some critical Pantheon DE components that are currently broken:

- gala (window manager): https://github.com/elementary/gala/issues/1447
broken due to mutter API changes between 43.alpha and 43.beta
fails to build + fails to install on Fedora 37+

- elementary-greeter (LightDM greeter):
https://github.com/elementary/greeter/issues/617
broken due to mutter API changes
fails to build + fails to install on Fedora 37+

- wingpanel (top panel, application launcher, indicators, etc.):
https://github.com/elementary/wingpanel/issues/462
broken due to broken gala, and also because of mutter API changes
fails to build + fails to install on Fedora 37+

Creating a compat package for older versions of mutter has previously
worked to work around the worst problems, but it comes with its own
can of worms (i.e. you need to backport upstream patches for
compatibility with the latest gnome-settings-daemon version, etc.),
and this is not something that I can commit to doing again.

Additionally, some applications are broken:

- elementary-calendar: https://github.com/elementary/calendar/issues/756
broken because it directly links libsoup2, but also
evolution-data-server, which has transitioned to libsoup3, and
geocode-glib-1.0, which is the libsoup-2 version
fails to build / install on Fedora 37+

- elementary-mail: https://github.com/elementary/mail/issues/793
broken because it uses webkit2gtk-4.0, but also evolution-data-server,
which has moved to libsoup3
fails to build / install on Fedora 37+

- elementary-tasks: https://github.com/elementary/tasks/issues/340
broken because it uses libsoup2, but also evolution-data-server, and
geocode-glib-1.0, which is the libsoup-2 versionfails to build /
install on Fedora 37+
fails to build / install on Fedora 37+

Other applications aren't broken *yet*, but they will need to be
ported to new library versions at some point (for Fedora 38, or Fedora
39 at the latest, according to current plans for the removal of
libsoup2):

- elementary-photos: https://github.com/elementary/photos/issues/718
needs to be ported to webkit2gtk-4.1 / rest-1 / libsoup-3

- elementary-capnet-assist:
https://github.com/elementary/capnet-assist/issues/84 and 85
needs to be ported to webkit2gtk-4.1 and gcr-4.0

- switchboard-plug-onlineaccounts:
https://github.com/elementary/switchboard-plug-onlineaccounts/issues/243
needs to be ported evolution-data-server 3.45+ / libsoup-3