Re: Mesa in F37- vaapi support disabled for h264/h265/vc1

On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 08:12 +0000, James bond wrote:
> (This is a sad noob user rant, please bear me. And sorry in advance
> for 'whataboutism'.)
>
> IANAL but this is a horrible idea.
>
> It's like parents turning off the internet entirely WiFi because the
> kid can't be able to watch 'bad' videos.
> Technically, it solves parents' problems but hampers the kid's study
> in many ways.
> Are we going over the board by touching all the way to down to Mesa?

It's pretty clearly delineated what's allowed and not allowed in
Fedora's packaging/licensing guidelines. And Fedora is not obligated to
package every single thing.

> I mean, what's next?
> - Remove all torrent software, because it can be used to download...
> Juridiction=IANAL, Possibility
> - Use LibreKernel because... Juridiction = IANAL, Possibility
> - ...

Torrenting is not illegal. Torrenting copyrighting material is. And
Fedora has an exception for binary firmware blobs.

> This is like triggering the shotgun into your own house. What
> happens? Users/member of the house shift/leaves the house. I started
> with F34 and had to already go to heck to achieve a proper video
> acceleration. And now I hear about this. Truly disappointing and
> saddening. Reminds me of a possible youtube comment:
>
> Redhat: How hard do you want to make your users suffer?
> Fedora: yes

This issue has been blown out of proportion. Most people will not be
affected, AMD users can still use other codecs, and people are working
on workarounds.