Re: Mesa in F37- vaapi support disabled for h264/h265/vc1

On Thu, Sep 29 2022 at 08:12:10 AM -0000, James bond <prabesh432@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I mean, what's next?
- Remove all torrent software, because it can be used to download... Juridiction=IANAL, Possibility
- Use LibreKernel because... Juridiction = IANAL, Possibility
- ...

The difference is Fedora Legal is OK with torrent software and Linux firmware, but not OK with unapproved multimedia codecs. There's no point in trying to debate this on a public mailing list as the lawyers who make these decisions don't read the list.

I'm confident that Fedora Legal wants to allow as much as possible because they have worked with us on this in the past, which is why today Fedora is able to play MP3, AAC, and even H.264 (via OpenH264) when all three of these technologies were totally banned just a few years ago. In Fedora 38, we'll have a new service, fedora-autofirstboot, that installs OpenH264 for you with no user interaction, so soon users will be able to play most MP4s out-of-the-box with zero manual intervention required to make it work. (This is already ready, just not enabled yet in F37.) I expect our multimedia situation to improve even more in the future because I suspect there is a little more we can do here. But when Fedora Legal says we cannot do something, they really mean it and we have to respect that.

Michael