Re: Mesa in F37- vaapi support disabled for h264/h265/vc1

On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 08:40 +0200, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 8:38 AM Tommy Nguyen <remyabel@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 08:24 +0200, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > As one of the ffmpeg maintainers, I'm actively working on
> > > workarounds
> > > for the problem. And I've talked to my counterparts in RPM Fusion
> > > about the issue as well. We're all trying to figure this out.
> >
> > That seems to contradict this quote from
> > https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/1321663-mesa-can-now-be-built-with-select-video-codecs-disabled-for-software-patent-concerns?p=1322191#post1322191
> > :
> >
> > > There is little to no interest at rpmfusion to package and
> > > maintain
> > it, also keeping the repo in sync with fedora isn't a priority for
> > me.
>
> I am not talking about Mesa, but ffmpeg instead.
>
> Insofar as the Mesa situation, the comment *right below* that one
> explains the situation quite well:
> https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/1321663-mesa-can-now-be-built-with-select-video-codecs-disabled-for-software-patent-concerns?p=1322383#post1322383
>

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!
> Do not reply to spam, report it:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue

Does this imply that this section[1] is no longer accurate?

   With a single maintainer introducing a ffmpeg-free binary packages
   into Fedora, competing with our fully featured ffmpeg build, this
   leads to various conflicts and interactions issues. While one could
   admittedly rejoice from the ffmpeg introduction intro Fedora
   (enabling ffmpeg support for some fedora package lacking it), the
   method used to forcibly introduced an un-backed (by most RPM Fusion
   packager involved) package with uncertain features enabled, was
   perceived as unfriendly for the least. A determining argument for
   any "new eyes" is the very short time the Fedora review took
   compared with a fully backed 6 months Fedora feature review process.

   Having non-competing packages in fedora+rpmfusion repositories is
   not a side thing, this is the reason why the RPM Fusion projects was
   created in the first place. Because of that we cannot afford support
   for ffmpeg-free at all and will recommend to migrate to our fully
   featured version.

       Fedora Workaround:

   sudo dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg --allowerasing

[1] https://rpmfusion.org/CommonBugs