Re: WebKitGTK package naming

On Thu, Sep 15 2022 at 08:49:39 AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had a pet idea to change the API version to -4.5, so that we could sync up with GTK 5 with -5.0, but this didn't seem popular upstream. So now I'm toying with changing to -5.1 or -6.0 just to avoid confusion caused by webkit2gtk-5.0 looking almost the same as webkitgtk-5.0.

We discussed this upstream and settled on webkitgtk-6.0 as the name for the GTK 4 API, to give slightly more distance between the GTK and WebKitGTK API versions.

There was some interest in adding the GTK API version to the WebKitGTK API version, like you suggested, but it's a little complicated and there wasn't enough support to make this change.

I want the downstream package names to match the upstream API names as closely as possible, so we can minimize the differences between Fedora names and other distros' names. Being different than other distros is most confusing of all!

Ideally we would exactly match the upstream name, webkitgtk-6.0. But Kalev has pointed me to:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Naming/#multiple

as the guideline we followed when deciding to omit the hyphen. Specifically:

"If the base package name does not end with a digit, the version MUST be directly appended to the package name with no intervening separator."

So that's how we wound up with webkit2gtk4.0, webkit2gtk4.1, webkit2gtk5.0 (current package name), and now webkitgtk6.0 (future package name, to replace webkit2gtk5.0 in March). I'm not sure whether that guideline is actually a good idea, as it results in our names differing from other distros', but it's close enough.

One more note: the webkit2gtk5.0 package will disappear within the lifetime of Fedora 37, so please don't actually use it. For now it's required by Builder and gnome-initial-setup, which will require special intervention when we update to WebKitGTK 2.40 in March. The goal is for the API to be stable in WebKitGTK 2.40, so holding off until then will help avoid trouble.

Michael