Re: WebKitGTK package naming

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 3:53 AM Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

the latest webkitgtk package now uses the following subpackage names:
* webkit2gtk4.0 and webkit2gtk4.1 are for GTK 3,
* webkit2gtk5.0 are for GTK 4.

As you can see, the WebKitGTK soversion ends up appended to "gtk", making it
look like the package targets a different (higher) GTK version than it
actually does.

I can see why you want the soversion in there, especially to distinguish 4.0
from 4.1, but would it not make more sense to use:
webkit2gtk3_4.0
webkit2gtk3_4.1
webkit2gtk4_5.0
as the names?

Thanks Kevin! I think what you are suggesting makes a lot of sense (but it's one of few GNOME packages that I'm not calling the shots on and it's Michael's call here).

By the way, do you have any suggestions for upstream library naming? There is going to be an API break next cycle in the webkit2gtk-5.0 gtk4 API and that's a good chance to do something about the shared library naming.

So far it's:
webkit2gtk-4.0.so
webkit2gtk-4.1.so
webkit2gtk-5.0.so

and I know Michael has been working on renaming webkit2gtk-5.0.so to webkitgtk-5.0.so upstream. Can you come up with any better names for the gtk4 shared library upstream, Kevin (or anyone else)? The constraint here is that webkit2gtk-4.0.so and webkit2gtk-4.1.so are set in stone so it's best to avoid something that can be easily confused with the existing library names.

--
Kalev