Re: Inactive packagers to be removed after the F37 release

On 9/6/22 17:29, Alex Perez wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> Your perspective on costs seems extremely developed-country-centric, and
> I'd like to suggest you check your (financial) privilege. I don't know
> where you're from; I'm from the US, but I am well aware of the reality
> of many open source contributors from countries where the exchange rate
> against the US dollar is awful.
>
> You may not see this sort of cost as a barrier to contribution, but I
> can assure you that other casual contributors may, and likely would. You
> have to realize that the cost of the token isn't necessarily the only
> factor that contributes to the overall cost of obtaining such a device.
> International shipping costs can easily triple this dollar amount, to
> say nothing of other associated costs such as import duties, etc. There
> are plenty of countries where such tokens are not domestically
> available, and must be shipped from abroad.
>
> This just isn't as simple or straightforward as you seem to want it to
> be. Erecting financial barriers to contribution is dangerous, and has
> unintended consequences.

Yes, this stinks.

Unfortunately, there are no good alternatives I am aware of.  The
closest I can think of is some form of software FIDO2 implementation.
Qubes OS will hopefully have one eventually, but I am not sure
if it will be usable outside of Qubes OS and maybe SpectrumOS.
Another option is a TPM-based authenticator.  Would this be acceptable?
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)