Re: Joining Fedora Chat from own Homeserver

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022, at 12:44 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> That unfortunately seems typical -- I'm joining the space from a
> different server too (Element One, ironically *also* hosted by EMS).
> Joining from a different homeserver seems to be a bit unreliable no
> matter which two servers are involved, especially for larger rooms
> (getting this issue joining Debian, FOSDEM, and Linux Plumbers rooms
> too).
>
> (my use case is: both Element One and Fedora Chat use SSO, and Element
> is the only app that does SSO properly right now, so I can't have both
> on my phone without futzing around with Island or some other app to be
> able to run Element in a normal and 'work' context)

Thank you, speaking to some other people it does seem typical. With a lot of
retries I seem to be able to join all the rooms I'm interested in so I'm making
slow progress there.

>> Aside from that any joined room does not show up under the 'Fedora' space nor can I
>> move them there.
>>
> That part is weird though, mine show up just fine.

Oh they show up fine, but they stay part of the 'other rooms' tab in my Element
client. I've now made my own private space to put them in to have some organisation.

> This guide is also super handy:
> https://kparal.wordpress.com/2021/06/01/connecting-to-libera-chat-through-matrix/

Awesome, thank you.