Re: Users with commit rights in src.fp.o but no more in packager group

Dne 06. 09. 22 v 9:20 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):

Dne 06. 09. 22 v 0:25 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
On Mon, Sep 05, 2022 at 12:13:26PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 05. 09. 22 11:07, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Apart from that, I don't think that the pseudo-users or group ownership
would work. I saw a good amount of people giving the packages to some
groups or pseudo-users, but in turn, that meant there is nobody who
would care about such package.
+100
While that can surely happen, it can and does also happen when someone
is 'main admin' of a package. :) You can't make someone care.

Right, but we have a process to identify inactive maintainers. If there is no maintainer left, the package is orphaned. The ownership should never be moved to the group. It is much harder to identify identify packages which are assigned to certain group, because the groups often are active.

And as I said, being member of ruby-packagers-sig, it is not straight forward to remove group from packages. Even though it has admin privileges, it cannot be removed from the package by the group member. Maybe I should report this somewhere officially ...

Here we go:

https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10882

Not sure if this is the right place, maybe it should have been reported against pagure-dist-git ...

Vít

I think the best thing we can do is match up the people who care with
the packages they care about. Using main admin as a indicator of who
cares for the package doesn't seem right to me. You can definitely have
cases of packages where multiple people work on it, or cases where just
one person does, but they aren't the main admin.

But this is typically problem of inactive maintainers. And I am looking forward to the current activity of identifying the inactive packagers. I truly believe this cleanup will help to deliver better content.

Anyhow, the only real reason we need main admin is that bugzilla needs 1
specific user to assign bugs to. Perhaps we could consider this when/if
we ever move off bugzilla.

+1

Vít

kevin