Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jul 6 2022 at 09:26:44 AM -0400, Marek Polacek <polacek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think you may be underestimating how much even 1% matters.

For Fedora Workstation, the primary concern should be to make sure sysprof works nicely. That's our profiling tool, and it currently doesn't work well at all with Fedora binaries due to lack of frame pointers. The best way to improve the performance of Fedora applications is currently to profile upstream binaries instead, which is awkward and disappointing.

I don't understand the technical details here and I will not take a position on what flags we use, but I'm concerned the goals here seem misplaced. We should surely accept a much bigger performance hit than 1% if it improves developer experience and facilitates profiling, since profiling allows us to make performance improvements that are orders of magnitude larger than 1%. Please find some way to make sysprof work well. Currently that requires frame pointers.

Michael