Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

On July 4, 2022 2:54:11 PM UTC, Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Daan De Meyer via devel wrote:
>> As mentioned in the change proposal, when using sampling profilers that
>> rely on fast access to the stacktrace, there is currently no viable
>> alternative to frame pointers. DWARF unwinding in absence of frame
>> pointers is too slow because of the complexity of the DWARF format and the
>> necessity to copy the stack to userspace and do unwinding there due to the
>> lack of an in kernel DWARF unwinder.
>
>And as already pointed out several times in this thread, that is a very
>niche use case for which you cannot hold the entire Fedora community
>hostage. This is not Facebook Linux.
>
>I do not know anybody personally who runs 24/7 profiling in production as
>you apparently do.

I think Kevin has a point here. This change will degrade the performance of everyone at all times so that a minority can run their very niche use case. I would thus suggest that if you really need this in production, that you rebuild just the packages that you need with the additional flags in koji, copr or obs and use these instead of making everyone pay the price.

If it turns out that the performance hit is really negligible (especially on register starved architectures), then I'd be more than happy to revisit the topic. There's really no need for duplicate work if it has no negative impact on the majority of our users.

Cheers,

Dan