Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

> I have had to use frame pointers, but only for deeply embedded projects where the cost
> tradeoffs are different and a smaller constrained unwinder was needed.

As mentioned in the change proposal, when using sampling profilers that rely on fast access to the stacktrace, there is currently no viable alternative to frame pointers. DWARF unwinding in absence of frame pointers is too slow because of the complexity of the DWARF format and the necessity to copy the stack to userspace and do unwinding there due to the lack of an in kernel DWARF unwinder.

Looking at the future, we will be following up on the alternative approaches such as CTF Frame which will hopefully provide us with a sufficiently fast way to unwind the stack in the kernel itself without requiring frame pointers. Until such an alternative is available, we see no option but to use frame pointers in order to do reliable and fast profiling.

Cheers,

Daan