Re: Do we need a change proposal for this?

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 1:57 PM Ben Beasley <code@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since [1] was approved, I think you would not need a Change proposal as long as dropping i686 truly would not impact other packages.
>
> If anything depends on any of the packages you want to change, then you would need to figure out the full dependency tree and work in from the leaves, convincing those maintainers to drop i686 before doing so yourself.
>
> If there are dependent packages and it isn’t possible to get them to drop i686 first, that’s when you would need a Change proposal; [2] is an example of that.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EncourageI686LeafRemoval
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Drop_i686_JDKs

Yup, for removing unused packages on i686, you're already set.
You might even say I've done your paperwork for you :)

The only two cases you'd need to take care to look into are:

- Go binaries that are used by non-Go packages.
Those (and all their dependencies) would need to stay, unless those
non-Go packages would also stop building on i686.
This includes both build-time and run-time dependencies.
Or, if the package in question is noarch, you'd need to make sure that
it's not ever built on a i686 build host, and doesn't use the
functionality provided by the Go binary at runtime.

- Go libraries used for building several language bindings for some
other project (I'm thinking of stuff like protobuf):
The Go bindings for provides-multiple-language-bindings packages would
need to be gated behind "%ifnarch %{ix86}".

So, It won't be as simple as just dropping "%{ix86}" from %go_arches,
I'm afraid :(

Fabio