Re: Do we need a change proposal for this?

Since [1] was approved, I think you would not need a Change proposal as long as dropping i686 truly would not impact other packages.

If anything depends on any of the packages you want to change, then you would need to figure out the full dependency tree and work in from the leaves, convincing those maintainers to drop i686 before doing so yourself.

If there are dependent packages and it isn’t possible to get them to drop i686 first, that’s when you would need a Change proposal; [2] is an example of that.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EncourageI686LeafRemoval
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Drop_i686_JDKs