Re: Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2022-06-28) is cancelled. Many announcements

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> The whole proposal consists of a few parts. The part that was voted on
> was the first part. Various people opposed the whole proposal, but it
> was the later parts that raised the stronger opposition.

I and others have also objected to the entire concept of bundling the
libraries where not absolutely necessary, with arguments given.

> The first part is something that is really within maintainer discretion,

It is true that the rules on bundling have become less and less strict over
time. However, there is still a SHOULD-grade requirement that system
libraries should be used where reasonably possible, to which the Change is
in blatant contradiction.

> and has no impact on other packages.

Well, it has a potential impact at least on all packages depending on the
JDK/JRE. Also, security issues in the bundled libraries can cause the user's
whole Fedora installation to be compromised.

> If the maintainer thinks that this will make it easier for them to deliver
> the package in this form, I don't think FESCo should block it.

At that point, we gain very little from having the JDK/JRE in Fedora at all,
as opposed to a third-party RPM repository. Why bother shipping a Fedora
package at all if it does not follow Fedora best practices (SHOULD
guidelines) and in particular does not use Fedora-packaged libraries?

> It certainly is not true that the feedback was not considered by FESCo:
> there was a long discussion on IRC, and FESCo members also participated in
> the mailing list thread.

Yet, the outcome is diametrically opposed to the mailing list consensus.

        Kevin Kofler