Re: Making Fedora faster (was Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal))

On 6/20/22 13:17, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
Actually, in the cases in the past where I looked at Phoronix benchmarks,
Clear got most of it's performance advantage from defaulting to "Performance"
setting of the CPU, while almost everyone else defaults to "Balanced".

I'd be surprised if that were true, because a system in "balanced" mode should scale its CPU frequency up when the system is busy.  For systems that aren't constantly busy, the "balanced" mode will usually result in some jitter in response time depending on what state a given core is in when the request is made, while a "performance" mode system should be more predictable.  But for a heavily loaded system, there shouldn't be much difference.

But we don't have to speculate about that too much.  Phoronix publishes its benchmark suite as a container image and since we're interested in how the power management affects performance in this case rather than how the supporting OS configuration affects the tools, we can use that container image.

$ podman run --rm -it phoronix/pts

Within the container, I can run "benchmark system/compress-zstd" to run a processor-focused benchmark where Clear and Fedora differed significantly under a "balanced" config and a "performance" config and observe the results.  In Phoronix's test, the result for "Zstd Compression Compression Level: 3, Long Mode - Compression Speed" under Clear Linux was 1192.4 MB/s, and under Fedora it was 292.7 MB/s.  On my Fedora system, the results are statistically indistinguishable when I run that benchmark under "balanced" and under "performance."  I get 410.5 MB/s under a balanced profile and 410.7 under performance.

That does not prove that the CPU micro-architecture is the most significant difference between the two, but it does strongly suggest that the CPU power settings are not a significant factor in these differences.

And I'd take the results for RHEL + downstreams with a grain of salt too.
In particular, CentoOS Stream and AlmaLinux get opposite places in various
bechmarks, which doesn't fit well the hypothesis above…

Alma is release 8 and CentOS Stream is release 9.  I am not surprised that there are some benchmarks where they differ.  I would, however, be fairly surprised if benchmarks showed significant differences between RHEL, Alma, and CentOS Stream 8, or RHEL, Alma, and CentOS Stream 9.

I'd like to see benchmarks before accepting this as a fact.

Aren't we looking at them?  :)