Re: Making Fedora faster (was Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal))

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 01:36:22PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 6/17/22 12:15, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> > On 6/17/22 01:41, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > > I can only concur. Say what you want about Phoronix benchmark, but
> > > they consistently benchmark different distributions And Fedora
> > > consistently is lagging behind. Latest article is at
> > > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=h1-2022-linux
> > >
> > >    Slowing Fedora even further is really undesirable.
> > What would it take to make Fedora faster?
>

> If you go back a few years, it was pretty common for Fedora to perform below
> average in these benchmarks, and that really isn't the case any more.  The
> top performing systems in these benchmarks are Clear Linux and RHEL rebuilds
> (which, in this context, I think we can probably just treat as a proxy for
> RHEL performance.) Clear and RHEL (rebuilds) probably get most of their
> advantages from building for an x86_64-v2 microarchitecture

Actually, in the cases in the past where I looked at Phoronix benchmarks,
Clear got most of it's performance advantage from defaulting to "Performance"
setting of the CPU, while almost everyone else defaults to "Balanced".
"Performance" makes sense pretty much only if you're benchmarking or showing
off to friends, otherwise "Balanced" is a much more reasonable way to use
the hardware. But anyway, we now have a drop-down menu for this at least
under gnome, just click "Performance" and get the same boost :)

And I'd take the results for RHEL + downstreams with a grain of salt too.
In particular, CentoOS Stream and AlmaLinux get opposite places in various
bechmarks, which doesn't fit well the hypothesis above…

> To Demi's question, though, I would venture a guess that building glibc (and
> possibly some other libraries) for more modern microarchitectures and
> shipping that support in hwcaps would probably be a big step forward, at the
> cost of some disk space. It was mentioned in Neal's x86_64-v2 thread, but
> that discussion didn't seem to go anywhere.  Building the whole OS for a
> more modern microarchitecture would probably also help, at the cost of
> compatibility with older hardware, and that doesn't seem like an trade-off
> Fedora is willing to consider today.

I'd like to see benchmarks before accepting this as a fact.

Zbyszek