Re: Installing ffmeg-free degrades firefox video support

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:10 PM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 05/06/2022 10:02, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> > > We should really start thinking about this.
> >
> > Yes. Patents for algorithms hinder the development of humankind.
> >
> > But there is nothing we can do about it, because Red Hat is registered
> > in the US organization and must follow their laws.
>
> I admit I have not checked, but does ffmpeg-free include
> the hardware GPU support for the various patented
> codecs (letting the GPU vendor pay the license costs
> for the decoder) and if not, would RH legal consider
> adding that hardware driver support acceptable to
> ffmpeg-free?
>
> Yes, some of the earlier hardware GPUs, even when
> they claim support for a codec, required software
> fallback to handle certain cases, which would not be
> allowed, but newer GPUs may be able to perform all
> the IP encumbered processing internally (I am thinking
> of GPUs such as nvidia pascal and later which I seem
> to recall supports at least some H.265 decode), and it
> would be useful to have those codecs available for
> apps to use on appropriate hardware.

I can't go into too much detail, but I can say I was able to enable
some hardware encoders because they don't require ffmpeg's own codec
code and don't function without software to expose the functionality
from hardware. These are not functional without third-party software
that is not eligible for inclusion in Fedora.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to decoders in the ffmpeg
architecture. Worse, some decoders that _could_ be enabled are
basically broken when hardware support is missing. FFmpeg does not
correctly invalidate them as choices and the player receives garbage
from libavcodec. Thus, all of that is turned off. Sorry!

Of course, Free codecs like VP8 and VP9 are fully enabled with
software and hardware stuff. There is ongoing work to integrate all
the pieces to take advantage of hardware acceleration for these codecs
into Fedora.