Installing ffmeg-free degrades firefox video support

I have discovered that installing the ffmpeg-free package degrades Firefox video support. Without any kind of ffmpeg installed, Firefox is able to play all the videos I want to watch. Installing RPM Fusion's ffmpeg package does not change this. But, installing ffmpeg-free from Fedora repositories causes some videos not to play.

This is unexpected, because one would expect that installing any variant of ffmpeg would improve video support, not degrade it. My hypothesis is that Firefox prefers ffmpeg over openh264, but is not careful enough to check if the ffmpeg it detects actually supports h264.

As a workaround, I can set media.ffmpeg.enabled in Firefox's about:config to false. Then all videos play again, even with ffmpeg-free installed.

Here is an example video from Youtube that can be used as a reproducer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsAH96BsBg

It seems clear that there is a bug somewhere, but I cannot decide, where, hence this post to devel. Should Fedora's Firefox actually have media.ffmpeg.enabled set to false by default, because Fedora's variant of ffmpeg has this problem? Should upstream Firefox be smarted about which decoder library it attempts to use? Or should ffmpeg-free package do something to avoid this from happening. Any opinions are welcome!