Re: Installing ffmeg-free degrades firefox video support

On Thu, 2022-06-09 at 03:51 +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:

> In addition, that download offer actively promotes proprietary
> software,
> which used to be a no go in Fedora, but now (very sadly) even Fedora
> itself
> has started doing that by shipping pointers to all sorts of
> proprietary
> stuff ranging from NVidia drivers from RPM Fusion (whereas ironically
> the
> software in RPM Fusion that follows our licensing policies is
> considered off
> limits due to patents) to all sorts of proprietary Flatpaks. (It
> shall also
> be pointed out that it is disputed whether the NVidia drivers can
> even be
> legally distributed at all, because they are under a proprietary,
> GPL-
> incompatible license and therefore arguably cannot be legally linked
> to the
> GPLv2-licensed Linux kernel. But basically nobody cares about that.)

The linking happens on the user machine, no? For Fedora only akmods are
available, which generate kernel-specific kmod RPMs on the user
machine. Which causes its own issues since that means you can't boot
with Secure Boot anymore...

RPM Fusion does produce binary kmods, but those target EL kernels only
(so yeah, the legality of that is questionable).

I'm not sure 'nobody' cares - and hopefully this gets resolved in the
medium term once the open source driver is ready for desktop use.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
identities: